2/28/09

Things I've learned about Bolivia

There's a few things I've noticed about the countries we've visited that I never really mention and if I don't write them down I'll probably forget.

Since everyone knows that bullet lists are the most efficient way of displaying information; here goes:

1. Toyota HiAces run Bolivia. Forget Landcruiser 4x4s, if you want to get over that mountain find a HiAce.

2. No matter what price you buy something for, you are being ripped off. This applies to everything from bus tickets to Snickers bars.

3. You might think your Spanish is improving, in reality, you have just got better at hand gestures.

4. Bolivia have computers as old as me.

5. The internet will always be faster ("less slow" is probably a better expression) in the morning. I have yet to figure out why.

6. Sitting down to a meal in Bolivia is like putting a large bet on a football match - you won't know if you've made the wrong decision for about 2 hours....

7. To be a Taxi in Bolivia all you need is an A4 page with "Taxi" scrawled on it in the front window.

8. There is an over-supply of service for everything. You never need to worry about finding a restaurant or bus full. Another seat/table/HiAce will appear from somewhere, as long as you have the cash.

9. Falling asleep in a hammock in the middle of the day in the jungle without insect repellent is not a good idea.

10. If you see a kid with a water balloon, don't bother running, its already too late.

11. If you managed to get to the end of a Bolivian street without twisting your ankle, don't worry, there's always the walk home...

12. Bolivians mix electricity and water in endlessly creative ways.

That's all I can think of for now. So far it looks like the list for Peru will be very similar...


.

1 comment:

  1. I remember sitting down in the shower as I washed myself because any closer to the showerhead caused spasms, temporary loss of consciousness and magnetism. Good times.

    ReplyDelete